Monday, October 24, 2011

Crosswalk ★★

I saw him on a city crosswalk
The cars groaned next to me
and the dry breeze tugged at my hems
He was clutching the hand of a girl
walking side by side
without speaking
She was pretty, probably more so than I
and he was of the same
thin and fashionable
with hair that whipped his face
with each breath of wind and exhaust
I slipped to the edges of the worn white line
to give them berth
He caught my eye as I passed
and gave this coy smile
His face telling me
Look what I have
Look at all that is mine
Look at What I Am
And me just smiling politely
not sure if it was taunt or advertisement
As if What He Was held any interest for me
As if I myself had never been privy
to pretty boys with their coy smiles
As if he wouldn't pale
under the eyes of my lover
so like spring and fire

No comments:

Post a Comment